To apply for an Individual Adaptive Equipment grant online, please carefully read over all information below and then complete the online form at the bottom of this page.
To apply via mail, Click Here to Download the Quality of Life Grant Application & Eligibility Form (PDF) and mail completed application to:
Travis Roy Foundation
101 Huntington Avenue, Suite 520
Boston, MA 02199
Eligibility Requirements For Individual Grants:
- Assistance is awarded to spinal cord injury survivors with paraplegia and quadriplegia (Please Note: paralysis must be due to a spinal cord injury that was caused by an accident, separate from complications caused at birth. Paralysis due to stroke, ALS, Spina Bifida, Multiple Sclerosis, etc., are not eligible). We wish we could help all people with an SCI disorder, but our current demand far outweighs our resources.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need and may be required to provide documentation.
- There is no age requirement.
- Applicants must reside in the United States.
- Applicants must request a specific modification or single piece of equipment to apply for a Travis Roy Foundation grant; requests for “anything you can give” will not be considered.
- Eligible items: wheelchairs, vehicle modifications (i.e., hand controls or lifts), small home modifications including bath, ramp, and lift installations, computers, bed/mattress, shower chairs and lifts.
- PLEASE NOTE:
- Grants are not available towards the purchase of new or used vans; funds are available ONLY for vehicle modifications.
- Due to the number of applications we receive requesting adaptive equipment that is a necessity (wheelchair, bed, home modification, etc); we do not accept grants for exercise equipment (FES Bike, Standing Frame) or recreational equipment. If you are looking for recreational or athletic adaptive equipment, you may wish to try the Kelly Brush Foundation. www.kellybrushfoundation.org
- Grants are disbursed directly to suppliers of the desired equipment or modifications. Individuals making the grant application are required to submit estimates from potential suppliers. Please complete all sections of the application; incomplete applications will not be considered.
How To Apply For A Grant
Applicants must complete all questions of the applications in order to be considered for a Travis Roy Foundation Quality of Life Grant, including providing contact information and estimates from at least two (2) suppliers and/or contractors for the equipment or renovations requested in the application; incomplete applications will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the volume of grant applications, we respectfully request no phone calls or emails inquiring about the status of applications. Grant recipients will be notified by phone or mail upon approval.
Application Submission Periods and Requirements
In addition to the application, the following supporting documentation must be included. Applications that do not have all of these documents will not be reviewed.
- Written quotes from companies/contractors for modifications.
- Please note that all materials submitted are non–returnable.
- Applications are accepted year-round and are considered at quarterly Trustee meetings.
- Grants run on average of $2,000 – $5,000; there is no minimum award.
- Grants are awarded on a monthly basis.
The Travis Roy Foundation will review each request and make specific recommendations to the Board of Trustees for approval. The Board meets monthly to authorize grant awards. All notifications, both of awards and declinations, will be mailed out after the Board has met. All supporting materials should be submitted to the address below.