Giving appreciated publicly traded securities is a wonderful and tax-efficient way to make a gift to the Travis Roy Foundation. For securities held longer than one-year, you are entitled to a federal income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the securities, regardless of what you originally paid for them. In addition, neither you nor the Travis Roy Foundation will pay capital gain taxes on the long term gain realized upon the sale of the stock. Gifts to the Travis Roy Foundation are eligible for the maximum income tax deduction available under federal tax law.
How it works:
- You give appreciated securities to the Travis Roy Foundation.
- The Travis Roy Foundation sells the securities and uses the proceeds for the Foundation’s programs.
The benefits to you:
- You get an immediate tax deduction equal to the full fair market value of the securities you transferred, regardless of what you originally paid.
- You do not pay any capital gains taxes on the securities donated.
- You get the satisfaction of helping the Travis Roy Foundation and people overcoming paralysis from spinal cord injuries.
We will need the following information: description of shares to be given (i.e. number of shares of XYZ corporation common stock); date of acquisition; cost basis; and whether there are any restrictions or encumbrances on the shares. Please give this information to Mary T. Quinlan at firstname.lastname@example.org when you transfer the shares.
The Travis Roy Foundation will give you a receipt to substantiate your gift for tax purposes.
The transfer instructions for the Foundation’s account are as follows:
State Street Bank & Trust Company
Agent Bank No: 62441
DTC Participant No: 00987
A/C No: 95-593690
A/C Name: Travis Roy Foundation
Thank you! And please let us know if you have any questions.